6 Signs That Your Dog Ate Weed

Do you suspect that your dog may have eaten some weed, or do you know she did? Have you ever asked yourself, “what happens if my dog ate weed?” Ingestion of marijuana can be very dangerous to dogs, and it’s important to learn how to properly respond if this happens to your pet.

Dog ate weed


Read through the article below to find out more about the best way to deal with a dog who has ingested weed. With the help of this information, you can react more quickly and take care of your dog fast, ensuring that she will have the best possible chance at recovery.

Why is it Dangerous if a Dog Ate Weed?

THC is the component in marijuana that makes weed dangerous for dogs. The higher the concentration of THC, the more dangerous the product may be for your pet. Dogs who eat the leaves of a marijuana plant, for example, are getting only a small amount of THC, while those who eat marijuana oil or butter may get much more.

It’s important to note that THC is the dangerous component here, not CBD. Many pet owners give their dogs CBD oil or CBD biscuits to help them stay calm during stressful events, such as a storm or a family move to a new home. If you give your dog CBD products, just double-check the label to make sure they do not contain any THC, and you should not have any problems.

Always talk with your emergency vet before starting your dog on CBD products. Some dogs may not be good candidates for this type of treatment.

What are the Signs of Weed Toxicity in Dogs?

If your dog ate weed, there’s a chance that they could develop weed toxicity. This is a very serious condition, and it’s important to know the signs of it so you know when you need to take your pet to the emergency vet for treatment.

Below are some 6 common signs that a dog ate weed and is suffering from weed toxicity:

Loss of Coordination

Dogs may be unstable on their feet or may be a little confused about where they are if they eat weed. This symptom should fade with a little time.

Low Heart Rate

The heart rate may drop significantly, which can be one of the more dangerous parts of marijuana ingestion for dogs. It can also feel scary to the dog and may cause anxiety as well.


Another sign that your dog ate weed and is suffering from weed toxicity is incontinence. Dogs may be unable to hold their urine or may dribble a little while they walk if they are suffering from this condition.

Fluctuations in Temperature

Your dog’s body temperature may increase or decrease dramatically without warning if she has consumed marijuana. This can be very dangerous if left unchecked, so it’s important to take your dog to the emergency vet if she’s suffering from this symptom.


Vomiting is very common with weed toxicity in dogs. If your dog just vomits once or twice, this isn’t an emergency. However, if she cannot stop vomiting or if her vomiting is severe, she needs to go to the emergency vet.

Too much vomiting can quickly lead to dehydration, which can be fatal if left untreated for too long.


Rarely, dogs may suffer from seizures if they eat weed. If your dog has a seizure after consuming marijuana, take her to the emergency vet immediately, as she may need treatment to fully recover.

What is the Treatment for Weed Toxicity if My Dog Ate Weed?

Dogs who ate weed are usually given fluids and are monitored in a vet hospital for a while to make sure they recover properly. They may also require medication that regulates the heartbeat, especially if they ingest edibles that contain chocolate, too.

Most dogs will make a full recovery, but the quicker you get your dog to the emergency vet, the easier her recovery will be.

Other Risk Factors to Keep in Mind if Your Dog Ate Weed

There are other ways that dogs can consume weed, and it’s important to know the risk factors that can come from them. If your dog ate weed in any of the ways mentioned below, you should take her to get immediate veterinary care.


Edibles are often made with chocolate as one of their ingredients. If your dog consumes a chocolate marijuana edible, she will ingest dangerous levels of chocolate as well as THC, which can be fatal.

Edibles are extremely dangerous to have around dogs, so stick to other methods of using marijuana when you have pets, if possible.


Tinctures are highly concentrated liquids that are used for micro-dosing. They contain a lot of THC in most cases, too, so keep them stored far away from the reach of your pet. Pay attention to the label if your dog does happen to ingest a marijuana tincture; some contain much more THC than others.

If Your Dog Ate Weed, Bring Them to The Village Vets

As you can see, although it is dangerous for dogs to eat weed, it isn’t necessarily a fatal issue, either. There are certainly some situations in which a dog could die from eating weed, however, so you should do your best to keep your weed well away from your pet’s reach.

Ideally, store marijuana in any form on a high shelf or in a locked cabinet that is both pet-proof and childproof. And make sure you have information on hand for emergency vets in your area so you can contact them if your dog does happen to ingest weed in the future.

If your dog ate weed, or if you notice any of the signs of weed toxicity in dogs mentioned above, call our team at The Village Vets right away. Our emergency animal hospital is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so your pet can get the care they need at any time of day. You can contact us by calling (404) 371-9774 or coming straight in.

Share This Post